Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Printing

Before we knew it, our break week was coming to an end and the remaining three weeks were all that remained of our semester. The last three weeks consisted of printmaking and Italian. Once classes began, we almost immediately began making our prints. Each of us had a meeting with the teacher to discuss what we wanted to draw and turn into a print. After this was decided, I used carbon paper to transfer my drawing to the piece of linoleum. The next step is carving, and lots of it! The incisions but be deep enough to avoid paint from seeping into the grooves. Our teacher pushed me to incorporate much more detail than I had originally planned, and though during the carving process I was regretting adding more, the finished result seems to be much more successful. Following numerous hours including an all-nighter in the the studio, we moved on to the printing stages. The linoleum is then covered in paint using a rubber roller to allow for even distribution. Measurements are made on a template piece of paper to mark indicate the placement of the linoleum. Another piece of paper, designated to take the print, is then matched up with the template and laid flat on the linoleum. Next it is run through the roller which presses the linoleum and paper together. Once it rolls completely to the other side, the top sheet of paper is carefully peeled from the linoleum...and VOILA! The print is complete, only left to dry and be examined to make changes for the next attempt. Here is my artist statement and some images of my print:

As graduation and the “real world” approached faster and faster, I jumped at the opportunity to continue my studies for an additional semester and complete my remaining credits in Italy. Previous art history courses provided me with a glimpse of the inspiration to come, yet nothing could fully prepare me for the opportunities I’ve had thus far. I immediately began experiencing the rich culture through art, history, architecture, music, theatre, dance, and fashion among other wonderful elements the culture has to offer. The amount of inspiration has completely exceeded my expectations and continues to satisfy my artistic impulse. Since this trip began, I have both consciously and subconsciously become more aware of my surroundings, observing shadows and highlights, designs and patterns, curvatures and rigidities. I have been particularly fond of and drawn to the Etruscan culture. Depictions such as owls, vines, leaves, fish, waves, organic shapes, and other ornate designs make nature’s influence on the culture apparent. Such pieces of art intrigue me by being both mentally stimulating and visually appealing.

I will soon be making some very important decisions about my future that will be essential to my continued happiness, and I find this pivotal point extremely daunting. In the previous section of this trip, using Etruscan art as my inspiration, I created a drawing that symbolized this moment in my life. However, the drawing was much less successful than I had envisioned, and compelled me to make a second attempt; this time being more intentional, dedicating more time, and being less concerned with the viewer’s perception of the end result. I’ve learned that the printmaking process is extremely demanding as it requires much precision, diligence, and carefulness. But, the muscle cramps, neck aches, and blistered fingers have made the end result that much more rewarding. I am much more pleased with my second attempt and feel that the imagery effectively displays my source of inspiration and symbolic intentions.

My linoleum plate



My multi-colored prints

Individual print

No comments:

Post a Comment