Wednesday, October 5, 2011

A Glimpse of Etruria 9/24






We were able to catch a glimpse of the Roman forum from the Capitolini Museum, but today we were able to walk through, under, and around the ruins. The arches were covered with elaborate designs and in surprisingly great condition. First off, it’s amazing to see such delicate detail and fine craftsmanship. For instance, the marble at the tops of the pillars branched out into a layered leaf-like design. Although still very difficult, molding these delicate organic shapes out of clay would seem to be a bit easier than I chiseling them by hand.

I would love to watch this process and see how they would go about correcting mistakes, assuming they are inevitable. Secondly, it’s crazy to see something that has survived so many battles, harsh weather conditions, and even time alone. Also, within the ruins was Caesar’s cremation site, which is still coated in flowers.

After the forum we regrouped at the Colosseum. This was by far one of the most incredible places I have ever been. Immediately upon my entry into the building, I felt a surge of energy. Being inside, I felt as if I were a part of something much, much larger. To know that I was standing in a place that at one time was filled with millions and millions of people watching men battle each other and animals to the death. As awful and gory as it is portrayed, I think it would have been quite the spectacle. It’s like “game day” on steroids! The Colosseum was in spectacular condition, which made it that much easier to imagine what the events might have been like. Being inside made me want to yell at the top of my lungs just to hear how it would project. The Colosseum was incredible and ranks very high on my list of best experiences. Overall, it was adrenaline surging and bucket-list fulfilling.


No comments:

Post a Comment